Eggs, Glorious Eggs - What's for Egg Fast?
Telaine and I have started this week with an egg fast. We do these every now and then to help break through stalls or kick us back into nutritional ketosis after letting sneaky carbs creep back on to our plates.
An egg fast is a great tool once in awhile. It's certainly not something we would do for long periods, normally 2, 3 or up to 5 days.
So how does it work? Here's the way we do it based on Jimmy Moore's method from his post in 2010 at livinlavidalowcarb.com
- Must eat eggs as the primary source of fat and protein.
- 1 tablespoon of butter (or other fat source) used per egg consumed.
- Eat an egg no later than 30 minutes after waking.
- The egg meals ideally should be eaten every 3 hours, but not more than every 5 hours.
- Follow this schedule even if you're not hungry (We have 1 egg if that happens).
- Cheese is permitted (Up to 25gm per egg).
- A minimum of six eggs must be consumed daily.
- Eggs will be local pastured eggs loaded with healthy omega-3 fats and Vitamin D.
- Egg consumption will cease three hours before bedtime.
Telaine and I normally add a Bulletproof Coffee (made on XCT or MCT Oil & Grassfed Butter) to start the day. This is a great source of fats and is carb free. You could also have a cup of hot bone broth with butter instead.
Here's a great tip... boil your eggs in the bottom saucepan of your bain marie while you make your Hollandaise Sauce. Two birds one stone kind of thing. Just after your sauce is ready the eggs will be done (7 minutes for soft boiled eggs).
If you want to read more about Jimmy Moore's egg fast you can click here.